JOB TITLE: Laboratory Director- Hospital
LOCATION: NE-Texas Sulphur Springs TX
JOB SUMMARY: Plans, directs, and organizes the provision of medical laboratory services in the core lab and clinic settings. Establishes policies, procedures, Quality Control, proficiency testing, competency and departmental objectives. Supervises department personnel and manages all functions including testing, compliance with standards and regulations, infection control, safety, and maintenance of equipment. Prepares schedules and performance evaluations. Determines budgetary needs, capital equipment and contracted services. Demonstrates and maintains current knowledge in age-specific criteria relating to the laboratory.
Education: Bachelors Degree from an accredited college or university. Must meet all requirements in regards to CLIA 88 and CMS for laboratory personnel.
Personal Job-Related Skills: Leadership and management abilities, effective oral and written communication skills, and interact with ancillary departments, nursing, and medical staff.
Licensure, Registry or Certification: Licensure as a Medical Technologist, Registered by ASCP, AMT, ISLCT, HEW, NCA or Registry eligible with Associates or Bachelor degrees.
Prior Work Experience: Two years of high complexity testing experience in a medical laboratory and five years supervisory or management qualifications under CLIA guidelines.
Physical and Mental Requirements: Duties of the position require moderate periods of sitting and standing, lifting up to 30 pounds. Must be able to hear equipment alarms and have vision to read labeling, instructions and to conduct tests.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
A. Plans, organizes and directs the laboratory testing of patient specimens.
1. Insures patient testing is completed on a timely basis in the main lab and clinics.
2. Monitors test processing and review results for validity, accuracy and improvement purposes.
3. Establishes and maintains a test reporting system that fulfills the needs of the requesting physicians, both in the hospital and clinics.
B. Provides for the equipment requirements of the laboratory operation.
1. Insures that laboratory equipment is in working order.
2. Establishes preventive maintenance program for equipment.
3. Runs test programs to assure accuracy and consistency of testing equipment.
4. Keeps abreast of new technology and evaluates its potential value to the
5. Provides, tests, and evaluates the effectiveness of the lab’s computer
C. Manages department functions and supervises and practices consistent with hospital and clinic policies.
1. Initiates departmental policies, procedures and practices consistent with hospital and clinic policies.
2. Establishes management control procedures to create efficient and effective
handling of supplies and equipment.
3. Supervises and coordinates activities including work routines and schedules
and selects, hires, develops, evaluates, disciplines and terminates department
employees in compliance with hospital and clinic policies. This is in conjunction
with the POC Coordinator.
4. Directs and coordinates departmental budget preparation and monitors the
utilization of approved budgeted resources.
5. Assures compliance on a continuing basis with federal, state and other
regulations pertaining to laboratory operations.
If interested please send resume in MS Word format to